Follow on Strava

Monday 24 November 2014

Day 23 – Monday, November 23, 2014 – 120km – 23km/hr - Oudom Xai to Luang Namtha

Woke up feeling pretty tired … and moved slowly. Decided to ‘blog’ a bit … and tried to load some pictures. (When wifi works, it does not work well to load pictures.)

I had met Ms. Sisu last night at the street stall I had supper at. She invited me to her bakery for breakfast.

Kind of a dry egg sandwich & luke warm weak coffee.

It wasn’t the jolt I needed.  I moved slowly – spending a bit of time looking for sun screen. I saw a big ‘Chinese’ hotel with a big door, and decided to go search for a good coffee. 

I met Chic, who was very kind & spoke good English. He guided me to the restaurant, the toilette’s and later on to the market across the street. We found a wee tube of something that had a SPF factor of 50 on it. (It was a brownish cream … and was been marketed at women to ‘stay whiter’.

I started riding at 11:20am … and was planning on what I thought was 150km.

The road was spectacular with lots of ups and downs. The scenery outstanding. 12km into my ride, I was screaming down a curvy hill on a right hand turn. A bus was coming up and around the sharp curve turn (going left).  The bus was in my lane, so I hit the brakes – no problem.
However, the brakes were really weak – so I had to really turn into my corner at a pretty good speed.

I stopped shortly after.
With all the jarring and breaking of last night, I had lost a front brake pad.
Oh … I wish I had packed a better repair kit!
Chris Pountney biked from England.
He lent me some patches! :-)

I continued my ride on the ups and downs and thought, “The only way this could be better would be in a peloten.” 
You could really get some great speed with the assistance of a group of riders with similar fitness.

Only about 20km from the boarder of China, I met 3 different groups (5 people) who had cycled from England, France and Spain!)  Sunny, quite road & extremely beautiful – I stopped and had long chats with these folks, as well as stopped often at street side vendors – looking for good food. (I felt hungry).  Mostly I was only able to get biscuits, and Coke.

Chris Puntney from England - His Blog - The Really Long Way Around! Lent me some patches - I'm 100% out! (EDIT - Dec 28 ... I made an entry in Chris's blog.  So Awesome - here I get a mention & a photo about a quarter way down! :-)

I’ve been finding it difficult to maintain a high heart rate, and a good speed – for this entire bike trip.  While I’m touring, I want to have fitness gains while here.  I was so slow for the first 50km of the ride today … (with the many stops & street side observations I suppose.)
After meeting Eric and seeing his good map, I realized it was only 70 to my destination.  In 30 km, I could find some food.


I was hungry a lot ... stops looking for food were super fun!


I pushed my pace – and really enjoyed that. Still - my heart rate was around 130 and only once did it reach 150.   When riding in Alberta to ‘train’, I suspect my heart rate would rarely be lower than 140, and often at 155.

I found a guest house about 5:30pm – no wifi in this town. Pang showed me a hose where I could wash my bike & gave me a beer Lao. I was thankful I did not have to be concerned about having wifi. There was none – that was it.



Eric rode from Spain. "I hate facebook, twitter & blogging".

No comments:

Post a Comment