Follow on Strava

Sunday 16 November 2014

Day 15 – A is for Automation


 I’ve been in Thailand almost 21 hours. Upon landing in Bangkok I immediately purchased a plane ticket to Chaing Mai.

I first heard of  this place while planting trees in BC in 1991, from crew boss John. That’s a L-O-N-G time ago … which I hadn’t really considered up until now.

I perceived a sleepy town with loads of peaceful people, walking, working in fields and chanting in frount of Budda’s in less grandiose temples.  I think I perceived myself immersed in the vibe … getting closer to enlightment.

Sense of Direction:
I recently acknowledged; I have little.
I (currently) hate not know exactly where I am.
The day I left Victoria for Thailand I purchased Garmin’s latest and greatest GPS device for cyclng - The Edge 1000.

However, it doesn’t ‘really’ have maps installed for places like Thailand. It kind of has cookie trails. (I assume that 80% of those reading this – get that. 15% are probably like me … and think they would know that & can probably figure out how to download and use maps.  The other 5% - luddites.)

I went for a ride (then a walk) looking for three destinations. I didn’t realize I had left the Edge 1000 on. Wow - the course I took was insane - I had three destinations. (I was doing circles!) http://connect.garmin.com/activity/632946465

It’s now 8:45am. I’ve woke at 3:30am and been trying to figure out how to load maps and routes to this device.

I travelled lots from 1986 to 1993. While I was probably lost most of the time – I didn’t even know it – or care. Where I landed, I landed. (It may have taken longer; I didn’t notice.) It’s only recently that I’ve acknowledged my sense of direction is horrible.

- Technology -
Currently Reading Tim Ferris's, Four Hour Work Week.
How could I outsource this?
At nearly 48 – I don’t want to spend any time being lost. Next step – go find a micro card then try to down load maps.


I prefer to be on my bike. (Tim Ferriss – How do I Automate this?)




1 comment: