Follow on Strava

Sunday 2 November 2014

Day 2 - Banff to Golden (The Nicolson Manor) - 157 km


Shirley has a concert with Civic Orchestra today so must be back to Calgary by 9:30am for rehearsal.  She leaves at 7:30am as there is snow, and it seems like Calgary may have lots of snow.

She leaves me - hoping I will hang out in Banff, visit the Library, visit the Banff Mountain and Book Festival. Explore other peoples adventures, then choose something.

It's an option. I agree. I indicate that I'll probably just hang out here for at least the day, perhaps the week.
I went to Starbucks.
Thought a bit.
Read a bit.

I don't feel like thinking. Sitting.
I feel as if it doesn't matter what I do. Whatever I choose, will be perfectly fun. I don't want to talk to others about their experiences.

I loaded my panniers for the first time and rode to The Nicolson Manor (our pad just South of Golden). 157km in 6.5 hours. Pretty slow at about 24km per hour.

Banff Cycling Tour - Let's Roll
I immediately left Banff, via Banff Ave which is wrong for at least two reasons:
-It' takes me back towards Calgary
-It takes me away from a paved trail along the Trans Canada which goes about 8km to Bow Valley Corriordor.
- It takes me away from seeing our Friday Night waiter friend who said he would look for me near the rink. (He was a neat guy, who introduced the poem "IF" to me, for the second time this day.)

I'm a bit pissed, a bit embarrassed.  I should know how to get to the better road.  I don't. My directions suck & I'm too impatient to stop and figure it out.  This is how I ride the first kilometers of my adventure - knowing there is a 'better' way.

The sun begins to shine as I ride pass Johnston's Canyon. I see a National Park Warden in a truck who is flagging me down to stop.  I wonder 'what the hell king of rule does this guy want to explain to me?'  I do slow down.  He says there is a bear ahead, so he'll drive his truck between me and the Bear.  Cool ... I slow down to take a picture.

I know the Bow Valley Parkway well. The last time I road it was in June at Banff Bike Fest, Cat 3. I held my own for the entire race, then got destroyed on the final two hills.  On my GPS watch I'm watching elevation closely - my high elevation is 1600m.

At Yoho Lake I'm at 1300m and then rip down the Mountain in the shade of the Mountains to Field.  I was flying. It was darkish (as sun is obsured). It feels a bit scary with traffic - but I wasn't hitting the brakes.

Why a Personal Blog?
- I'd like to stay disciplined
- I'd like to be creative
- I'd like to try writing ... with the goal of improving my writing. Writing is sharing. (I think sharing is good.)
- Perhaps I'll sort out my feelings ...
-To remember

Why publish it?
- I wouldn't do it ... if I didn't think anyone was looking.
- I'm not so different than others. Although as I age, I feel I am different than others. Perhaps someone will be inspired.



No comments:

Post a Comment