Follow on Strava

Wednesday 5 November 2014

Last Day of Work - Prior to 90 days off - Friday, Oct 31, 2014


When I was about 26 years old, I sat in The Sooke Legion (alone) after being fired from Planting Trees. It was a cool job in that we were flown in my helicopter each day, and were planting in very steep terrain. (On this day as I sipped a few beer and wrote a journal recounting all the jobs I had left on bad terms. I decided at that moment that I needed to work for myself.)

I was the High Baller (most productive and best paid) in the Crew. The Crew Boss liked me, but had given me a few warnings about the Supervisor on site who worked for BC Forestry. He didn’t like me.

This site supervisor had a little mustache, and shaddy eyes. He would frequently appear in my line of planting & obviously want to talk. The first few times I would stop work, remove my gloves, and remove my ear buds – lean against my shovel and ‘brown nose’ to this supervisor. Ultimately, I knew we had to have them liking us.

However, when planting trees, if you are not planting – you are not earning money. You are paid by the tree.

I didn’t like the guy. I didn’t want to talk to him. I was a very good planter, very fast, and was confident that I was planting trees well with at least an average level of success of those trees living.

Something happened with our crew. My crew boss and this supervisor negotiated … I was the fall guy.

This time is just like that time.

I wish I was a better learner. Reminds me of this poem.

"Life is like a game of chess. To win you have to make a move. Knowing which move to make comes with IN-SIGHT and knowledge, and by learning the lessons that are accumulated along the way. We become each and every piece within the game called life!"  - Allan Rufus: Author of The Master's Sacred Knowledge

Shirley got her first listing today.  At 2:30pm Shirley called as I was packing up my bike, “Do you want to meet at Point McKay or shall I pick you up?”

As we were walking into friend and past client Rob’s home, I turned to Shirley and said, “Do you want to present?”
“Sure!”, she said.
I handed her the folder, with no idea if she had even reviewed it.

We had a nice meeting/visit with Rob. He wasn’t quite ready to List his home. There were still a few things that needed sorting.

Shirley asked for his signature, and got the listing. Her first.  She’s good. (I would not have asked.)


After we left I explained how ‘awesome’ she was in asking for the signature. She simply said, “I’m going to help him get what he wants. Of course he was going to put me to work.”

No comments:

Post a Comment